Should I pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?

Active duty, non-resident military personnel may be exempt from North Carolina motor vehicle property tax. To qualify for an exemption, you must present a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement to the county tax office that lists your home of record for a state other than North Carolina. The statement should be for the month and year in which you registered the motor vehicle and must include your Estimated Time of Separation (ETS) date and home of record. If your home of record on your Leave and Earnings Statement is North Carolina, you must pay the vehicle property tax here.

Show All Answers

1. Why is the state's collection of vehicle property taxes changing?
2. When does the new Tag and Tax Together System take effect?
3. Why has my registration renewal form changed?
4. Will my vehicle registration renewal fee remain the same?
5. When is my vehicle tax due?
6. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax 1st?
7. Am I paying property taxes for the coming year, or for the preceding year?
8. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?
9. Is interest charged on late payments?
10. How will I know what vehicle property tax I owe?
11. Will I receive a refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?
12. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle taxes paid?
13. Should I pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?
14. Can I appeal the value of my vehicle?
15. What is gap billing of property taxes for unregistered vehicles?
16. Why did I receive a vehicle registration gap property tax notice?
17. Does the property tax I paid when I renewed my registration apply to the gap billing period?
18. How many months can a vehicle registration gap property tax notice cover?
19. When is my vehicle value determined?
20. How can I appeal?
21. When are the taxes due and when does interest start?
22. What if I do not pay?