Holiday Scams are a trend we see every year. Increased online shopping leads to an increased potential for your information to end up in the wrong hands. Please use caution when giving out any personal information. Call the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office to ask for guidance or to report fraudulent activity at 704.878.3180
- Delivery Scams: you can get a text or email that looks like shipping information, don’t click it! The link is encrypted with malware that if clicked will send all the information on your smartphone or computer to the fraudster. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK!
- Example: “Hello, your FEDEX package with tracking code AB-123-CDE-4 is waiting for you. Update your delivery information here _____________”
- Example: “Your package is running late. We apologize. To make it up here is $250 to spend on Amazon. _____________”
- Jury Duty Scams: Many in Iredell County are receiving phone calls about missed Jury Duty, the individual on the other line claims to be from the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office and indicates that you have missed Jury Duty and must pay money via pre-paid gift cards to avoid penalties. We will not call you and ask for money! Do not send pictures of gift cards to anyone!
- Fake Charitable Solicitations: scammers impersonate charities, even more so around the holiday season when many of us want to give to good causes. Call spoofing will be used so the incoming call looks as if it is coming from a legitimate source.