- County Departments S-Z
- Soil & Water Conservation District
- Resource Conservation Workshop
Resource Conservation Workshop
About the Workshop
The Resource Conservation Workshop is a week long intensive study and hands on conservation workshop requiring student application and participation in a wide range of conservation topics. Students are housed in North Carolina State University campus dormitories under the guidance of live-in counselors.
In order to achieve success, students should come prepared to apply themselves to meet the primary objective of the workshop, learning about natural resources and their management in today's environment. Awards and scholarships are won and presented to students under several awards programs.
Each year, the Iredell Soil and Water Conservation District sponsors 1 outstanding rising sophomore, junior, or senior to represent Iredell County at this workshop. High school graduates are not eligible to participate in the Resource Conservation Workshop. In addition, the North Carolina Association of Soil and Water Conservation District's policy provides that students may participate 1 time only in this workshop. This policy was made to promote equal competition for workshop scholarships and awards.
Contact Iredell SWCD to receive a local application for this event.
- 2018 Resource Conservation Workshop participants: John Driver and Elizabeth Selves
- In 2017, Jonathan Wilson, a sophomore at South Iredell HS, attended the RCW (PDF).
- For the 2016 RCW, two students from Iredell County attended the environmental workshop: Hayleigh Wise and Sofia Verdi. Hayleigh stated, “Soil is the structure of our land. It provides nutrients for food for animals and humans and it is important to protect if for that purpose.” Sofia stated, “I want to make as much of a difference as I can in the world. I am looking into careers in the environmental sciences and feel the RCW would be a great opportunity to help decide which field will be a good career choice.” Sofia was also a participant in the Southern Piedmont Envirothon.
- In 2015 we had Karen Sloan attend the Resource Conservation Workshop (PDF).
- In 2015 we had Thomas (Jake) Dillis attend the Resource Conservation Workshop (PDF).
- In 2014 we had Abigail Zika and Timothy Chisholm attend the Resource Conservation Workshop (PDF).
- In 2013 we had Samantha Stutts and Tandis Flores attend the Resource Conservation Workshop (PDF).